In spite of all of the worries of 2020, it was a good calendar year for cadets and school who pursued the opportunity to current their study and capstone assignments at the peer-reviewed Intercontinental Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition in November.
A complete of 16 cadets, 2nd lieutenants from the Course of 2020 and faculty from the Division of Civil and Mechanical Engineering presented their function in 13 distinct periods.
The projects symbolize a diversity of projects throughout the civil and mechanical engineering portfolio — from robotic swarms to superior fidelity fluid dynamics experiments to ballistics and the dynamics of bullet impacts, a vast array of papers have been presented.
Also, Class of 2022 Cadet Ty Homan competed as a finalist for the American Society of Mechanical Engineering’s Younger Engineer’s award, earning next spot in the competitors — a noteworthy accomplishment as he competed from solely graduate mechanical engineering learners. Homan analyzed how contaminants these kinds of as chemical brokers disperse in the ambiance in urban terrain. His function is sponsored by the Protection Risk Reduction Company.
Other assignments that have been reviewed provided:
• Course of 2023 Cadet Steve Andreen, suggested by Maj. Brad Davis, offered his study on assessing the hazard to consumers of Dwell Fireplace Shoot Homes made from abrasion resistant metal panels.
Andreen collected details on how bullet impacts are dispersed on the facility throughout instruction and how each impression variations the metal. Using failure screening from Aberdeen Proving Ground, he then wrote a computer simulation that estimates the variety of impacts it requires to trigger a solitary metal panel to fail and utilized Monte Carlo simulation procedures to estimate the chance that a facility would fail above time.
Andreen strategies to continue on this do the job in the Spring and boost his product with more bodily experiments and Bayesian studies strategies.
• Course of 2023 Cadet James Bieler, who is advised by Maj. Brad Davis, introduced his analysis on modeling the behavior of cellular rubber used to comprise spall and fragmentation that is produced for the duration of the use of Reside Fire Shoot Property Amenities.
Bieler when compared three probable content versions that account for the unique pore construction of the rubber and talked about the benefits of every. He also introduced his preliminary experimental effects and mentioned the further resources tests essential to entire and validate the versions.
• Course of 2023 Cadet Jared Dequenne, who is advised by Maj. Brad Davis, presented his exploration on modeling the actions of mobile concrete applied in Live Hearth Shoot Household amenities to include projectiles and fragmentation. Using product knowledge gathered from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Engineering Research and Advancement Middle and Sandia Nationwide Laboratory, Dequenne designed and validated a Holmquist-Johnson-Cook product model that can be utilised to assess the protection of present live hearth buildings in opposition to new projectiles, or style and design new services.
His get the job done is remaining continued by a further staff of cadets this fall, who are using his materials product in their sequence of experiments at the Tronsrue Indoor Marksmanship Heart.
• Class of 2023 Cadet Ruby Romsland, who is recommended by Dr. Ken McDonald, introduced her work on investigating the corrosion of a Navy Mk50 CROWS (Typical Remotely Operated Weapons System) station friction brake.
Working with elemental analysis and electrochemical polarization measurements, Romsland was capable to decide there was a compositional and galvanic mismatch between components of the friction brake method that caused the corrosion to manifest. From there, Romsland was ready to supplies engineer a solution to eliminate the galvanic mismatch and prevent additional corrosion of the friction brake method.
• Course of 2021 Cadet Nathan Batta, who is advised by Daniel Doscher, introduced his investigate on Product Predictive Management (MPC) for a novel ‘multi-mode’ suspension style and design. This structure will allow vehicles to take up higher frequency disturbances (as addressed by standard automobile suspensions) as effectively as lower frequency disturbances these as the profile of a hill or ‘mogul-like’ terrain.
The objective of this investigate was to decide the gains that MPC with preview details could convey to the multi-mode thought subjected to a wide range of 2D highway profiles.
Acquiring a fifty percent car design to represent the multi-manner suspension, Batta was ready to utilize the MPC algorithm and figure out that the driver absorbed ability could be minimized by much more than 90% for move, sinusoidal, multimode and random highway disturbances.
• Next Lt. Daniel Chung, USMA Course of 2020, and Col. Mike Benson offered their capstone get the job done in a symposium on Wind Turbine Aerodynamics and Atmosphere Flows. Chung pre-recorded the presentation when at the Engineer Fundamental Officer Training course in Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, though Benson taken care of the live dilemma and response period.
The capstone group exertion was sponsored by the Protection Menace Reduction Company (DTRA) and involved scaled screening of a pulsatile contaminant unveiled in downtown Oklahoma City as it was in 2003, when a series of significant-scale discipline checks have been conducted. The job was so effective that DTRA has invested in a stick to-on analyze complicated 3 businesses to strengthen their atmospheric simulation models to match the experimental outcomes in AY 21.
• Rahul Verma labored with 2nd Lts. George Horiates and Nick Kanellis. As cadets, Horiates and Kanellis took on the complicated dilemma of identifying the trigger of considerable vibrations in the squander conveyance system at Holston Military Ammunition Plant, positioned in Kingsport, Tennessee.
Verma was the faculty advisor for this capstone venture. This effort essential a web page take a look at to obtain operating data, overview current engineering ideas and specs, and understand how the water conveyance system worked. The piping configuration was complicated — a “spaghetti bowl” of pipes that been constructed around quite a few a long time to hold the process operational. Horiates and Kanellis made MathCAD and AFT Arrow types of the conveyance system, and calibrated the designs employing the limited operational information that was available. As a result of careful examination and literature critiques, they identified the most very likely induce is water hammer, and presented a remedy to do away with this issue.
• The West Point Radiation Evaluation and Monitoring Hive (WRATH) group formulated a modular, autonomous, promptly deployable and multifunctional unmanned plane system (UAS) swarm for use in nuclear radiation fallout zones.
The multidisciplinary staff spanning 5 majors from four departments developed, built and tested a swarm that autonomously maps radiation fallout, pinpoints probable sources and scans for pathway dangers in a very hot zone.
2nd Lt. Michael Renard, USMA Course of 2020, offered on behalf of the overall WRATH team.
• Next Lt. Chris Forden, USMA Class of 2020, and Lt. Col. Andy Bellocchio offered do the job on an anti-torque device to arrest the spin of a suspended litter throughout air ambulance rescue hoist operations. Interaction amongst the hoisting litter and the helicopter’s rotor clean can destabilize the suspended load and risk damage to the affected person and aircrew.
The device accelerates a fly wheel to create enough angular momentum that counteracts a litter’s spin. The analysis was developed beneath the assist of the U.S. Army 160th Unique Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR).
• Lt. Col. Jamie Bluman presented a paper on behalf of his 2020 capstone staff — 2nd Lts. Davonte Cater-Vault, Wei-Kang Soon, Ruth Talbott and Jonathan Willis. The staff intended a novel unit to release fastened wing drones from the Joint Precision Airdrop Method (JPADS). The group produced a novel wing-folding mechanism and built-in it on to an current tiny UAS, the Zohd Nano Talon.
They designed four drones and a dispenser system that carries the drones beneath the JPADS cover and releases them on command. The venture was sponsored by CCDC Soldier Center in Natick, Massachusetts.
• Lt. Col. Margaret Nowicki offered her 2020 Capstone teams do the job on additive producing of ceramic slurries in aid of physics for Soldier protection to defeat evolving threats.
Her crew was comprised of 2nd Lts. Andrew LaFlam, Kjetil Klein and Logan Smith. The crew modified an off the shelf extrusion printer to take ceramic slurries as feeder substance in its place of plastic filament.
The staff also made a sequence of mixing augers to incorporate different slurries and established a simulation to forecast which auger geometry would develop the biggest mixedness of mixed slurry.
The project was sponsored by CCDC Military Research Lab in Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland.
The cadets and next lieutenants who presented their operate stated that this prospect was a excellent skilled development expertise.
“Presenting my do the job at IMECE was a great option to produce experienced expertise and interact with members of the broader complex group,” Homan stated.
Renard mentioned that, “IMECE was a meaningful possibility to existing the hard do the job of our (Drone Swarm) capstone staff to an international audience.”
“This was a record 12 months for USMA at IMECE — we have hardly ever experienced this many cadets, the latest graduates and college existing their get the job done from our software in a one meeting,” Benson, West Level Mechanical Engineering Division Director, mentioned. “It signifies a remarkable energy by everyone included. Ty Homan’s range as runner-up in the International Young Engineer Paper level of competition demonstrates the excellence of the USMA cohort. With any luck ,, we will be ready to attend in particular person upcoming yr, as the digital meeting practical experience pales in comparison for improvement and community prospect with the stay party.”
|Date Posted:||01.21.2021 10:59|
|Area:||WEST Issue, NY, US|
General public Domain
This perform, Cadets existing analysis, capstone projects at IMECE, ought to comply with the limits demonstrated on https://www.dvidshub.net/about/copyright.